Looking after yourself

This page gives some advice on how to keep yourself safe and healthy whilst studying and living in York. 

Staying safe on nights outPlan Safe logo

The Plan Safe, Drink Safe, Home Safe messages were developed by Students' Unions to help you to stay safe on nights out in the city:

 Plan Safe

  • Pack your things! Make sure you’ve got what you need: charged phone, money, identification, alarm etc.
  • Eating isn't cheating! Eating a meal before you go out is very important and snacks between drinks can help to slow down the absorption of alcohol.
  • Store useful numbers - make sure you have taxi phone numbers in your phone; it may be useful to save an “In Case of Emergency” (ICE) number in your phone so friends know who to contact in an emergency.
  • Have a back-up plan 




Drink Safe

  • Alternate your drinks - switch between alcoholic and soft drinks.
  • Never leave your drink! - and if you have to, make sure you leave it with a trustworthy friend to avoid any risk of it being spiked.
  • Don't feel under pressure to drink the same as your friends - and don't play catch up

Home Safe

  • Travel together
  • Stay together
  • Hangover SOS - Avoid a hangover by ensuring you eat and drink before you go to sleep

StreamlineStreamline Taxis have a student safety policy that allows you to pay later if you have no money to pay for the fair home, providing you show your student card. Visit the Streamline website for further details.

Protecting yourself and your property

Personal possessions, in particular cash, cash cards and mobile phones are often targeted by thieves. Following the advice on the Students' Unions websites should help you keep you and your valuables safe:

accommodation _group _students (4)Our Student Community Guide provides information about safety and security for students living off-campus, as well as other useful information about living in a residential area. 

North Yorkshire Police

Home Office research shows that one in three students become the victims of crime each year at University, but in the majority of cases these crimes can easily be avoided. 

In non-emergency situations North Yorkshire Police can be contacted on a Switchboard number of 0845 60 60 247. This number can be used to report any crime. Call 999 if there is a threat to life or a crime is actually taking place.

Securing your property

The majority of crimes are opportunist, which means they are committed on the spur of the moment when a thief spots an open window, unlocked door or other means of breaking into your property. The following tips should help:

  • Make sure windows and doors are locked when you go out, even if you are just nipping out for a few minutes.
  • If there is a problem with door/ window locks or fittings, ask your porter/ security officer or your landlord to fix them.
  • Never leave a spare key outside your accommodation.
  • Ask the identity of a caller before opening the door - where appropriate, ask for proof of identification.
  • Make sure nothing valuable can be seen from the street.

Page break GREEN

Staying healthy

York Student Health screenshotThe universities and colleges in York provide a wide range of student support services, further details are provided on their websites.

The York Student Health website also provides information about a wide range of student health issues, and has been developed with York's universities and colleges:  

Useful student health links:

Doctor surgeries University of York’s medical centre offers scheduled and drop-in appointments with nurses and GPs. York St. John’s medical centre offers appointments with nurses and GPs.

Mental and emotional wellbeing

As well as contacting the Doctors surgery students can access a variety of University and off campus support: - confidential listening service run by students for students of both Universities. Also provides free sexual health supplies. - The University of York's Open Door service offers confidential and professional support to students experiencing any psychological or mental health difficulties. The Wellbeing team offers counselling, welfare advice, wellbeing support and mental health case management to York St John students. An independent York charity which offers counselling, advocacy and access to befriending groups to anyone experiencing emotional or mental difficulties. – York College’s counselling service offers support to students experiencing any difficulties during their studies. – National charity which offers a free and confidential listening service. - Charity offering support and advice to York residents with issues or complaints regarding the NHS care they have received.

Sex, relationships and abuse - NHS clinic providing STI testing and treatment, emergency contraception, HIV prevention treatment and sexual assault support. - sexual health organisation focused on providing mental, physical and emotional support to York’s LGBT community in particular. However all resources are open to people of any sexual orientation. York based charity providing support to anyone affected by domestic abuse - relationship counselling service offering sexual therapy, couples, singles and family counselling, LGBTQ support and help for those who has fallen victim to violent or sexual abuse.

Disability support Disability support information for students at the University of York Disability support information for students at York St John

Childcare and carers - University of York nursery providing childcare for students independent body helping carer’s access support - user-led group of unpaid carers and former carers (over the age of 18) who live, work or care for someone who lives in the York area

BME voluntary organisation based in York aiming to promote awareness of the needs of black and minority ethnic (BME) and other people in the York area

Supporting Victims - support for anyone affected by crime. That includes people who have been a victim of crime themselves, people who have suffered a bereavement as a result of crime, people who are the family spokesperson for a victim, the parents or guardians of victims under 18, and members of staff where their business has been subject to crime.