Working with students and graduates
Across York's universities and colleges, there is a wealth of emerging talent that local employers can access.
There are a range of different internship and placement options, providing cost effective solutions for your business whilst also offering students and graduates valuable experience. We can also offer advice on taking on apprentices, and recruitment support for part-time or graduate positions. Read on to find out more.
- Student Internships are short project-based work placements undertaken either during the summer vacation period or part-time during term time. Students are paid a training allowance which is exempt from tax and NI of approx. £7.20 per hour. Undergraduate, Masters and PhD students from a range of disciplines engage in this scheme. We can help you draft the project specification, and support with the recruitment process if needed.
- As part of their degree course, many students undertake a year in industry. Sectors and positions vary - undergraduate courses are available across a wide range of areas so students are interested in a diverse array of opportunities. These should be fixed term positions paid at a fair market rate.
- Part-time and short term placements are sought by some students who may be required to gain experience in a field related to their course. Placements are usually organised by students themselves or their tutors but employers are always welcome to offer opportunities. Placements range from 3 days to several months and are normally unpaid.
To discuss how your business can benefit from working with students or graduates, please contact us
- Apprenticeships can help businesses across all industries by offering a route to harness fresh talent. Apprentices receive on-the-job training leading to nationally recognised qualifications, developed by industry. The length of an apprenticeship varies depending on prior skills levels of the apprentice, the qualification being obtained and industry sector. Generally, apprenticeships take between one and four years to complete.
- Recruitment support - We can also help you promote part-time and temporary jobs to students, as well as full time roles to recent graduates. Over 8000 students graduate from higher education courses within York annually, and we can work with you to help you recruit the right graduate for your role.