13 May 2015
Celebrating student volunteering in York
Last night York celebrated the achievements of student volunteers at the annual Higher York Student Volunteering Awards.
Students from Askham Bryan College, the University of York, York College and York St John University came together at the Merchant Taylors’ Hall to receive awards for their commitment and dedication to voluntary work in the local area.
York’s Civic Party, along with representatives from local voluntary organisations and York’s universities and colleges, joined them for their celebrations. BBC Look North’s Harry Gration acted as compère for the proceedings.
The voluntary work that hundreds of students in York take up alongside their studies has a huge impact on the local community. Last year student volunteers gaveat least 75,000 hours of their time, equating to over £500,000 if they were paid the minimum wage. Our award winners have contributed to a wide range of voluntary projects, including delivering music workshops for people with dementia, mentoring young people, and providing night-time welfare and safety support in the city centre.
Ellen Fitzpatrick, who volunteers with the Children’s Society, said: “My whole year and a half working with The Children’s Society has been incredibly rewarding and I have loved every minute.”
The value of the contribution made by student volunteers was summed up by Carrie Wheater, from Refugee Action York, who commented: “we could not run our service without our group of committed student volunteers”.
The 2015 Award winners are:
- Lucy Bacon & Katie Rawlinson, York Museums Trust (York St John University & University of York)
- Paige Bell and Laura Porritt, Door 84 (York St John University)
- Rachael Booth, The Island (York St John University)
- Sarah Brookes, York RSPCA Animal Home (Askham Bryan College)
- Ellen Fitzpatrick, The Children’s Society (York St John University)
- Jake Fletcher, St Catherine's Hospice (York College)
- Bleddyn Keegan, SASH (University of York)
- Megan Pitman, North York Moors National Park Authority (Askham Bryan College)
- Elly Tanner, Jessie’s Fund (York St John University)
- Ellie Whittaker, Marie Curie Cancer Care (University of York)
- Lauren Wilson, Musical Connections (York St John University)
- NightSafe (University of York)
- RAY (Refugee Action York) Student Volunteers (University of York & York St John University)
- YUSU Volunteering Officers (University of York)
- York Students in Schools (University of York) – celebrating 21 years of student volunteering in local schools
Photo credit: Damian James Bramley, DJBPhotography.com