Student Community Partnership
The Student Community Partnership aims to enhance relationships between students and other York residents. The Partnership has gone from strength to strength since its launch in 2012 and has proved to be a useful model, with membership including Students’ Unions, City of York Council officers, elected members and other key stakeholders.
The Partnership’s joint strategy focuses on key themes which will encourage students and residents to work together in the City. Download the strategy (PDF, 800KB).
Recent achievements of the Partnership include:
- The Student Community Guide produced and updated for three years – a guide for students moving into privately rented accommodation with hints and tips about Council services and getting on with your neighbours.
- Annual SSHH! campaigns to reduce the numbers of noise-related complaints;
- More co-ordinated communications regarding rubbish/ recycling collections resulting in a reduction in the complaints received by CYC;
- Key events delivered including Celebrate York, York Carnival, York International Festival, Heslington East fun day (all led by or involving students);
- Student surveys regarding housing and parking conducted;
- Residents survey co-ordinated, with recommendations now actioned as part of the new joint strategy.
We have continued to make links to with local organisations and community groups in order to identify where Student-Community projects and initiatives can make a difference. Our 'York Loves Students' campaign is underway, which aims to recognise all the great things students do for the City of York and the surrounding areas. Find out more about York Loves Students.
- September 2016, date TBC